Monday, February 10, 2014

My Baby Girls – Part 1

The Pregnancy

It all started in July of 2005. It was the day I was supposed to start my cycle and I just knew it wasn't going to happen. There are many things that happen when I am going to start and they weren't happening. I told my fiance that something wasn't right and he wanted me to take a store bought test. I took 2. They were both positive. I should have known then that it was twins. I mean, I wasn't even late and the tests were showing me as pregnant.

I was working in the radiology department of a hospital at the time. I was already showing (a very tiny bit) and was constantly hungry (morning sickness started later). I asked the ultrasound tech if she would take a look as I was suspecting twins. She confirmed it immediately.

The next few months are almost a blur. I was sick constantly, for the rest of the first half of the pregnancy. The second half, I was uncomfortable. I mean, I was HUGE! Everything hurt. Sleeping was not fun, as I had to constantly roll over to get comfortable. I compared myself to a rotisserie chicken on more than one occasion.

One night, I woke up in excruciating pain. I was having trouble breathing and my left arm was numb. I was sure I was having a heart attack. After getting to the hospital and seeing the doctor, he told me that my diaphragm was pinched. Rotten children were trying to suffocate me!

At the beginning of January, I started having contractions. Since I wasn't even due until March 17th, steps were taken to keep the babies in the oven. I was put on modified bed rest. While this meant I could still get up and move a bit, I could no longer work. My doctor also gave me orders for a handicapped placard for my car. I was also not to walk in the grocery store; I had to use a motorized cart. What a pain!

Towards the end of January, I had to get steroid shots to help develop the lungs of my little ones. They were pretty sure I was going to be early and they were taking no chances.

On February 7th, I started having some serious contractions. We went into the hospital to see what would happen. Though the contractions were strong, I was not dilating. So I was sent home.

On the night of February 10th, I had this horrible pain start. It was like a wide belt was being slowly tightened around me. After calling my step mom, who is a nurse, it was decided that I should go in.

They were now coming out. I spent the night watching and feeling all the contractions. They were horribly irregular and that worried everyone. At 7am on February 11th, the anesthesiologist came in to give me the epidural. I might have tried to go without it, but I wasn't allowed to. In case they had to do a c-section, it had to be in place. That darn thing took 11 tries! I was sooooo big, I couldn't curl tight enough for him to get a good poke. It finally took me laying on my side with my husband pushing my feet up as far as they would go.

I was given Pitocin to help regulate my contractions. The doctor also broke the water of the first baby. They also put an internal monitor on her. Up until this point, I had three external monitors on me, one for contractions and two for the little heart beats. They kept having to be readjusted due to constant moving. They needed to be able to monitor both babies heartbeats and it was becoming difficult.

Around 1:30pm, I was wheeled into the operating room. This was in case of any complications that might require immediate c-section. It was a long process. I was worn out and wasn't sure I would be able to push. But I did it. At 1:45, Fiona Erinn was born. She was 4lbs, 3 oz, 16 inches long. The tiny little girl had a head full of black hair. Then came the next part. The doctor broke the water of the other little baby. After nine pushes, Shannon Deirdre came out. She was 4lbs, 14 oz, 17 inches long. She had next to no hair and it was very blond.


They were both very healthy little girls. I was so happy to have the pregnancy over. I was even more excited to have my babies. They were beautiful!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tomorrow, I will tell you about the last 8 years.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At February 10, 2014 at 9:23 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

You looked so beautiful in that picture.

 
At February 11, 2014 at 5:02 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks, Liz! At the time, I felt fat. Looking back now, I was beautiful.

Miss you!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home