Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Education

The subject for today's musings is brought to you by The One-Minute Writer.

TUESDAY, JANUARY 7, 2014

Today's Writing Prompt: Education

What do you think is the most important thing for today's kids to learn in school?
POSTED BY SONNET FITZGERALD AT 5:00 AM 0 COMMENTS




This is kind of a difficult one. I really don't think that any subject is more important than any other. However, I do think that my girls are learning many valuable things in their current school.

They are learning that if you take your time and do it right the first time, you don't have to do it over again. They are learning that they are responsible for their own actions. I've tried teaching them this one myself at home, but I think having someone else tell them what I have been saying has hit home better. We still have moments of “this is how I am”, but they are getting fewer.

In their previous two schools, the classes were so big that I think they kind of got lost in the shuffle. We are now in a very small town. So small, that the 2nd and 3rd grades are combined and there are still only 12 students in their class. With such a small class size, the teacher misses nothing. Shannon has always done well in school. She is now excelling. She is being challenged in a way that works very well for her. Fiona has never done well. She is now doing much better. She is still struggling, but her teacher is finding ways to push her to do her best.

Their homework must be completely correct before their teacher will accept it for a grade. She will look it over and have them make corrections. This has to happen before recess or they miss it. The same goes for classwork. Acting up in class can also result in missing recess. This one is hard on both of them, as they really need to burn off steam, but I think it is working.


They also have a daily homework journal, where the teacher can write notes to me if needed. There is also a weekly progress report that highlights what was done during the week as well as what is coming up.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home