Friday, April 25, 2014

Puberty Woes


So I've been looking online for advice on having the puberty talk with my girls. Everything I have found so far says to be honest and open. Well, duh. I'm not going to lie about it and I won't hide anything about it either. I'm more looking for how to start the conversation. Add to that, how do I keep my overly emotional Fiona from freaking out about bleeding once a month? She doesn't like blood and has less pain tolerance that I do, which is saying a lot. I don't deal well with pain. I don't like it. When I hurt, anywhere, I shut down pretty quick. Fiona goes to the opposite extreme. She cries and screams. The whole world must know that she hurts.


Then there is Shannon. I'm not sure how she will react to the idea either, but I can almost guarantee that she will have a million questions. She is curious about everything and wants to know everything. She also doesn't like blood, but she deals with it better. As for pain, she's had her share of accidents and I think her pain tolerance is much better. She might still cry about it, but for that to happen, I know it really hurts. Not to say that Fiona doesn't really hurt; I just don't know how bad she hurts as she reacts the same whether it's a “I bumped into the wall” or “I fell off my scooter on the road and have asphalt lodged in the scratches on my knees and elbows”.

I'm also nervous about PMS. I've been lucky so far. Due to my choice of birth control, I haven't had to deal with a period for most of the time my children have been alive. This will all change in June when I get my tubes tied. Add to that, I also have 2 step daughters who are very close in age to my girls. I'm not looking forward to the possibility of all 5 of us being on our cycle at the same time. We just might blow the roof off of the house. I really feel bad for Ted and his dad (who we live with). I'm sure Ted will probably be ok, but I feel bad that he will have to deal with it. As for Wayne, he's a 70 year old who only has boys. I'm not sure how he will handle the lovely mood swings.

I know I need to have this talk soon. Hopefully, I can find the words and the time to do it right. Wish me luck!


Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At May 1, 2014 at 1:10 PM , Blogger kim said...

Hey girl! My mom never had a talk with me that I remember. I went to the toilet one night, April 1st, and when I wiped I saw the blood. I let out a little squeal and called for mom. Then the lights went out because it was storming outside. What an introduction! I think I learned more from love story books and a couple friends. However I remember getting basic birds and bees at school. They had one for everybody, then one for girls and one for boys. This was in the 70's in a private school, no clue what the public ones did. Good luck!

 
At May 6, 2014 at 9:27 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks, Kim. I asked my mom what she did and she had a book. She can't remember the name of it, though, so that isn't much help. I guess I just need to sit them down, find out what they know, and go from there.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home