Monday, December 16, 2013

Today's Writing Prompt: Mentor

Today's writing prompt of mentor comes from The One-Minute Writer.  The authors of this blog want you to take one minute and write down what ever comes to mind.  I'm not sure I can put down all that I want to in just one minute, so I'm going to just type every person I can think of that has been a mentor to me in my life.

I'll start with the first one I can remember.  When I was in 8th grade, my parents discovered a wonderful organization called the SCA.  Being as interested in history as we all are, it sounded wonderful!  I, however, was having trouble "clicking".  In freshman year, we went to a week-long event called Estrella War.  My parents were enjoying themselves and my siblings weren't having too bad of a time, either.  I was bored.  I couldn't seem to find anything that kept my interest for more than a few minutes.  One evening, one of my dad's friends, Wilhelm Siegfried,  went to a bardic circle.  For those who don't know, this is a group of people hanging around a campfire entertaining each other.  The entertainment can be poems, stories, or (my favorite) music.  Anyone who knows me, knows that I LOVE music.  I was hooked.  When Wilhelm noticed just how much I was enjoying myself, he began to teach me songs.  We even participated in an annual bardic competition one year.  We didn't win, as I was too shy at the time to really put myself out there, but I did win it a few years later.  I was so happy to be able to show him the prize and I know he was proud.

The next pair of mentors that come to mind I also met in the SCA.  I met Doreen and her husband Bill at my first event after moving to Washington state.  It was an almost instantaneous click.  They helped me get involved with the SCA group there as someone to go to events with outside of the general area we lived in.  When I began having marital troubles at home, they gave me a place to stay and ears to listen to what I needed to say.  Looking back now, I feel that I didn't appreciate either of them enough.  I wouldn't be where I am today without them. 

Another person that comes to mind is still one of my best friends.  I met Alex while we were both working for CPI in Kansas.  That was another almost instantaneous clicking.  Alex is the kind of person that can find the joy in just about anything.  Her smile is contagious.  She is also someone who decided to not wait for her dream to come to her, but went out and got it.  She has recorded and produced one album and is about to release her second.  You can find out all about that here.  Now that I'm back in Washington and she's still in Kansas, we don't get to talk anywhere near what I wish we could.  I'm looking forward to the day when she is famous enough to be able to really live her dream.

My family has always been there for me when I need them.  I love them all dearly and I wish we could all live closer.  Hopefully, they will all move to Washington soon. (wink, wink)

Last, but certainly not least, is Ted.  Ted and I met online in April of 2011.  We chatted constantly.  I couldn't go even a day without talking to him.  We finally decided to meet in person.  Breakfast at The Spudnut Shop sounded like a good place to give it a try.  When we were done there, neither of us was really ready to give it up, so we walked around the strip mall for quite awhile.  Though I enjoyed talking to him, I wasn't completely sure I wanted to date him.  A friend at work convinced me to give it a 2nd try.  I'm so very glad that I did.  It's now been over 2 1/2 years.  I can't imagine my life without him.  He is my rock, especially now that my health isn't the best.  He's always willing to give me a shoulder when I need it as well as a swift kick in the behind when I can't seem to do it to myself.  I love you, Ted.

There have been other mentors along the way.  Ones who have given a word of advice here and there.  A big thank you to all of you who have shaped my life to this day.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home