Friday, December 13, 2013

The Wonders of the World

While searching out a topic for today's journal, I came across one about The Seven Ancient Wonders, found here.  


They are, in chronological order:


  • The Great Pyramid of Giza
  • The Hanging Gardens of Babylon
  • The Statue of Zeus at Olympia
  • The Temple of Artemis at Ephesus
  • The Mausoleum of Maussollos at Halicarnassus
  • The Colossus of Rhodes
  • The Lighthouse of Alexandria
It really started me thinking.  I love history, especially ancient history.  I would have loved to see all of these someday.  I find it terribly sad that only one still stands.

I also started thinking about other wonders, both natural and man-made, that I would love to see.  This ties in very well with yesterday's traveling topic.

I would love to see Stonehenge.  I can't really explain why other than the fact that it fascinates me.  I've always been drawn to it.  So much so, that I visited the Maryhill Stonehenge.  While I may never be able to visit the real thing, I can enjoy that I live so close to something that not only references that wonderful Ancient Wonder, it also is a monument to honor soldiers who died in WWI.  

The Colosseum would also be something to see.  I've always enjoyed Ancient Mythology.  I've also enjoyed drama/performing in all it's many forms.  While I'm not a big fan of all the gladiatorial contests that Ancient Rome is known for, I still enjoy the historical aspect of it.  It would be something to see should I ever get to visit Europe.

Then there are the Natural Wonders of the World.  The first one that comes to mind for me is the Grand Canyon.  Since I grew up in Arizona, you should expect this.  Right behind that is Niagara Falls.  Anyone who knows me, knows that I LOVE waterfalls.  How can I not love one of the most prominent waterfalls in America.

**All images in this post were found on Wikipedia.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home